Drew this caricature of Manmohan Singh a few weeks back and the medium used is acrylic paint on A3 drawing paper. This is caricature is inspired by an amazing piece of art by an Iranian artist who was the winner of a caricature competition organized by IIC – Indian Institute of Cartooning. The exaggeration is very interesting, especially the turban and the smile.
- rough sketch using graphite pencil
- I usually paint the background color first. This time I used a dark background color to begin the caricature, in order to bring out the details of Manmohan’s beard & mush.
- 1st Layer of Acrylic paints – Base skin tone, turban & dress
- 2nd Layer of Acrylic Paints – Darker tones & shades
- 3rd Layer – Light : Used the white color to highlight the key light elements (check out the turban folds, fore head, nose and other protruding parts of the subject.
- Finally, the hair details using white color